The Student News Site of Glenbard North High School

The North Current

The North Current

The North Current

Meet our new counselor, Mr. Brito!

Photo Courtesy of Benjamin Brito

The start of a new school year brings many changes.  One of these changes at Glenbard North is the welcoming of new staff members.  Benjamin Brito is North’s newest counselor, and the North Current is pleased to introduce him to the Panther community.

Editor Shivani Bhardwaj sat down to interview Brito.  Here is what we learned about one of our newest staff members.

Q: Where are you from?

A: “I am from the Chicagoland area. I was born in Miami, Florida, and I used to live in Mexico City when I was younger.”

Q: What is your favorite part about GN so far?

A: “The people. Everyone here has been nice and it’s a good environment. Everyone had been supportive and checking in if I ever needed anything. The people have been really supportive.”

Q: Where did you go to school?

A: “I went to Schaumburg High School. For college, I went to UIC for my undergrad and NIU for graduate school.”

Q: Where do you see yourself in five years?

A: “I still plan on working here. What I want to do is travel a little bit more, settle down a bit, and own a few dogs.”

Q: What are your favorite things to do? 

A: “I like listening to music, podcasts, and exercising. I like to hike and explore new places, and try out new places to eat. I also like to read new books, dance, and spend time with family.”

Q: Why did you choose this job? 

A: “I wanted to be able to help people, specifically with high school students. When I was in high school, I didn’t have help with college and my future. Being able to help students in EL [English learners] too is something I will enjoy doing.” 

Q: Do you like your job position as of now?

A: “Yes! It’s been great so far! I’m still getting used to everything, but it’s been really good.”

Q: In your own words, what is your idea of a good student? What qualities would they have? 

A: “A good student is open to learning, resilient, constantly questioning things. A student should feel empowered to do things and use the material that they learn and be creative with it, being collaborative with others and working with other people.”

Q: Is there anything you would like to say to the students and staff of GN?

A: “I’m really happy to be here and want to thank everyone for helping me and for supporting me. If students ever need anything or a safe space, I am always here for them. I am ready to be a part of GBN for years to come!”

Donate to The North Current
$70
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Glenbard North High School. Your contribution will allow us to pay for training sessions and cover our annual website hosting costs.

About the Contributor
Shivani Bhardwaj, Co-Editor-in-Chief
Shivani Bhardwaj is a junior at Glenbard North and the Editor-in-Chief for the North Current. She likes to follow politics and foreign affairs and plans to become a journalist.
Donate to The North Current
$70
$500
Contributed
Our Goal