The Student News Site of Glenbard North High School

The North Current

The North Current

The North Current

Retiring Teachers and Staff 2024

Picture by Alyssa Roman

John Chamberlain:

1. What inspired you to pursue a career in teaching? Retiring Teachers 2024 

I knew I wanted to pursue a degree in Biology and work in a profession that would help others. As I reflected back on my high school experience (I graduated from GN – Class of ’86), I admired a lot of my teachers and coaches and I thought that I could meet both of those goals with a career in teaching and coaching.

2. Throughout your career, what teaching methods or strategies have you found most effective in engaging students and fostering their academic growth?

One of the things that I love about science is the ability to pursue the unknown – it is like a mystery or a puzzle. So rather than TELL the students about the knowledge that we’ve acquired through the scientific process, I always wanted my students to EXPERIENCE the scientific process through hands-on projects and experiments.

3. Can you share a memorable teaching moment or experience that has had a lasting impact on you or your students?

I have coached for all of my 33 years teaching here, and I would say that going downstate in 2002 with our Boys Basketball team and winning the Conference Championship in Boys Golf in 2005 were once-in-a-lifetime memories that I will always remember fondly.

4. What was your favorite memory while working at GN?

Meeting my future wife (former GN Spanish teacher) in the copy-room in the Fall of 1991 and teaching Honors Biology to my three kids (Katie – GN Class of 2014, David – Class of 2015, and Nathan – Class of 2017).

5. If you could go back in time and give your younger teacher-self one piece of advice, what would it be?

Public education is going to change a lot in the next several decades – roll with it.

Picture by Alyssa Roman

Rita Guritz:

1. What inspired you to pursue a career in teaching?

I am a “career shifter” (teaching was not my first profession). I became interested in teaching when I was volunteering at my sons’ elementary school. It was there that I realized the incredible impact that a teacher can have on a student’s life. It was amazing to see knowledge and connections form in students.

I have found when students create and teach others (this can be in a project presentation or a class debate) that knowledge is “locked in.”

There are many:  My favorite moments from teaching are when students put the content pieces together and formulate higher level thinking and solutions. For example, when students see historical events connect to what is going on in our world today; when students connect the economic concepts to their life.

When the AP US History Exam was done (it was a morning exam) and my students came back to thank me for preparing them so well for the exam.

“Don’t sweat the small stuff!”

Picture by Alyssa Roman

Donna King: 

1. What initially drew you to work in a high school environment, and how has your role evolved throughout your tenure?

My neighbor that worked at GN told me there was an opening for a job she thought I would be interested in. That was 23 years ago. I was hired as a paraprofessional and shopper for the FACS department for the first 3 years. The next 20 years I have been a study hall supervisor, worked in the mailroom and in the testing center. I have enjoyed all my jobs.

2. As someone who’s been part of the school’s support staff, what do you feel has been your most significant contribution to the school community?

As a supervisor you don’t think you impact the students as much as the teachers do.

3. Can you share a particularly memorable moment or project from your time here that you’re especially proud of?

There was this one time a student told me that it made her day a little better just by me saying good morning to her.  That meant a lot to me. A little kindness does matter.

4. As you prepare to retire, what aspects of your job will you miss the most, and what are you looking forward to in this next chapter of your life?

I will miss the students and the many friends I made through the years. Most of all I’ll miss decorating the mailroom.  I’m looking forward to having time to finish many of my craft projects that I started years ago.

Judith Nichol: 

I started at North in the computer lab and as the FACs shopper. After a couple years, I switched to the Science Department as their aide.

I think my significant contribution is creating a supportive environment for the Science Department, by always having or making everything they need.

There are a lot of memorable moments, but tie-dye day has always been my favorite day of the year. I enjoy working with the kids and love seeing how creative they can be.

Absolutely the people here are what I’ll miss the most; they are a wonderful group. And on a personal note, I’ll miss getting to mix the chemicals for experiments — there’s something satisfying about creating something new.  Retirement opens up many possibilities!  I look forward to spending two days a week with my nine-month-old grandson.  I’m hoping retirement will be a mix of relaxation, travel, and spending more time with family.

Donate to The North Current
$70
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Glenbard North High School. Your contribution will allow us to pay for training sessions and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to The North Current
$70
$500
Contributed
Our Goal