Consolidated Election 2023

The consolidated election was held on April 4, 2023. Students at Glenbard North were allowed to register to vote before the election, and juniors and seniors were allowed to serve as election judges.

The League of Women helps students at Glenbard North register to vote two to three times a year during their lunch periods, and it takes students less than five minutes. Those students are required to provide some type of identification before registering and will need to be 18 years old by the time of the election. 

Before the pandemic, Glenbard North did a mock election which was held every two years and all students should have experienced at least two mock elections. Unfortunately, the majority of Glenbard North students will not get that experience because Glenbard North will not hold another mock election until November 2024 and November 2026. Those mock elections greatly helped students experience what they should expect when voting and encouraged more students to go out to vote. 

This year, the Civics Club did a candidate open house, and although they had a hard time finding candidates for Carol Stream, Bloomingdale, Glendale Heights, and Hanover Park, their open house was very beneficial for those who attended that were interested in learning more about their local candidates and helped them decide who they want to vote for or who they want to support.

The candidates that were running for the village of Carol Stream in the election were: Rick Gieser and Frank Savierno for Village President; Julia Schwarzenegger for village clerk; Mary Frusolone, John A. Zalak, and Joe Anslmo for village trustee; Timothy Rogers, Mary Hudspeath, and Tara Leszczewicz for library trustee. Nancy Olso, Justin Lynch, and David S. Larimer, who are library trustees, were running to serve an unexpired 2-year term.

The following candidates were elected for the village of Carol Stream: Frank Savierno as village president; Julia Schwarzenegger as village clerk;  Mary Frusolone, John A. Zalk, and Joe Anslmo for the village trustees; Marylee Leu For the DuPage County regional school board trustee; Brenda Bird Gramann was re-elected as Carol Stream District Park commissioner unexpired two-year term. Sara Witteck, Tim Powers, Jacqueline Jeffery, and Daniel ‘Dan’ Bird as Carol Stream district park commissioners. Carol Streams District park commissioner Brenda Bird Gramman will serve an unexpired two-year term. Nancy Olson, Justin Lynch, and David.S Larimer were elected to serve their unexpired two-year term as library trustees. Karl Langhammer and James Panopoulos as Carol Streams fire protection district fire trustees. On the vote for the school district 94 future tax dollars 80.48% of voters voted ‘No’ and 19.52% voted ‘Yes.’

The consolidated election is just as important, if not more important,  as every other election because it directly impacts our community as a local election. Unlike the president, state representatives, and senators, the mayor, trustees, and many others who run for the local election make changes that greatly affect our community. 

Unfortunately, the majority of people do not know who is running in the consolidated election. As a result, voters are less likely to vote because they are unsure who to vote for. Glenbard North could allow students to learn more about their local candidates in class but unfortunately, teachers do not have enough time to teach students about them although the local candidates impact our villages and cities the most. Teachers like Erica Bray-Parker who teaches US Government and Politics and AP Government are challenged when wanting to teach students about their local government so that their students can be more informed about their local candidates running.

Students at Glenbard North can apply to serve as an election judge a few months before the election. Erica Bray-Parker states that it is important for students at Glenbard North to serve as election judges because “It’s unique to see firsthand how it works inside and see how fraud doesn’t occur during an election.” 

As a student who has served as an election judge twice, it can be very beneficial to students to learn how a polling place runs and what it takes to run a successful polling place. By serving as an election judge students are able to help their community, and learn how to be responsible and respectful. In addition to a student applying as an election judge, they are required to take two tests before serving as an election judge so they can know the polling place rules, how to set up, and what their responsibilities are. Students are required to set up on Monday night and open the polls on a Tuesday. It is very beneficial if students want to get some experience before they get a part-time job or just want to help their community vote safely and legally.