Q&A: GN’s New Teachers

Omar Garcia (Rayhaan Irani)

Omar Garcia

Graduated from/Alma matter: North Central College

Classes taught: Intermediate Band, Concert Band, Percussion Studies, Hip Hop Production 1

In your years at Glenbard North, what are you most looking forward to?

“I’m looking to get into my own here. There’s a lot of great stuff already happening [at Glenbard North], and I want to make my imprint, as far as the Music and Fine Arts Department. Making my impression felt.”

If you could choose a fictional world from a movie, book, or TV series to live in, what would it be and why?

“Well, this is the first thing that popped into my head…I really enjoyed the movie Soul. That world was really cool, and I appreciated how they described music through animation.”

In a zombie apocalypse, what is your weapon of choice?

“Man, we went from really wholesome…I feel like I wouldn’t even want to get near them, so I’d be, like, setting traps everywhere! Let’s just set traps, let’s dig a hole, booby traps everywhere!”

Samantha Gorgan (Rayhaan Irani)

Samantha Gorgan 

Graduated from/Alma matter: Bachelor from Elmhurst University, Masters from Arizona State 

Classes taught: English 2 and English 3

What’s your favorite part about being a teacher?

“I never have a boring day. When you’re interacting with people 24/7, you’re always laughing, there’s always something bizarre that happens. For my friends and family who work at office jobs, I don’t think they can tell the same kinds of stories; I can, every day.”

What’s a fun fact about yourself?

“I spent most of my teaching career in Arizona; I have never been on a plane before, and I just went for it. It ended up being the best thing I have ever done.”

What’s a fictional invention you wish were real?

“Sometimes when I’m driving, and I get stuck in traffic, most of the traffic are just people who are stopping to stare at whatever is happening on the side of the road. I just wish cars just got on a track and just moved us regardless; More automated driving, where you remove human error.”

Grace Hernandez (Rayhaan Irani)

Grace Hernandez 

Graduated from/Alma matter: Grand Canyon University

Classes taught: Health

“I’m looking forward to getting to know the students, getting to know high school—this is my first year teaching high school. I have taught middle school up until this point, so I’m very excited to see what this school is about and get involved as much as I can.”

If you could travel to any period in world history, where and when would you go?

“I would do the 70’s, not too far back, but I would be just interested to see just how high school was back then versus now.”

If you were a professional athlete, for what sport and team would you play for?

“If I was a professional athlete, I would be a pro-tennis player. Not sure anybody would sponsor me—maybe Wilson—but I’ve always played tennis and I love [it].”

Yarazet Ocampo

Yarazet Ocampo

Graduated from/Alma matter: Bachelors from California State University, Fullerton, and Masters from Arizona State University 

Classes taught: World History (EL), English 1 (EL)

What’s a fun fact about yourself? 

“I have an identical twin, and yes, we played jokes on teachers in high school by switching classes. Guess what? The teachers and staff didn’t catch us…lol. Also, I have been stung by scorpions in Arizona and Mexico (It hurts! Felt like hot needles poking me. Thankfully, no allergic reactions except for the feeling of electric shocks through my finger, arm, and leg for a few days each time).”

“Meeting new people, working with students from different backgrounds, challenging myself, and learning new things. There is so much to see and experience. I want to help and make an impact. I want to make my time count.”

If you could have lunch with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be? 

“I would really enjoy meeting one of the first women to climb Mount Everest, Junko Tabei. Tabei not only climbed Mount Everest, the highest mountain on Earth, but she also climbed the highest mountains on each of our seven continents. Her story inspires me because she faced her physical and mental limits. Her story is even more compelling because she achieved her climbing goals while raising a family and working as a teacher to pay for her expeditions. She reminds me that regular people can achieve superhero feats. Never give up!”

Rachel Scanlan (Rayhaan Irani)

Rachel Scanlan 

Graduated from/Alma matter: Bradley University

Classes taught: English Learners 

As a child, what was your dream job?

“I wanted to be a professional author for most of my childhood.  Before that, when I was really, really little, I wanted to be a cowgirl like Jessie from Toy Story, which was my favorite movie.”

What is a fun fact about yourself?

“I can wakeboard and waterski! I also played saxophone when I was in the high school band, and I can play guitar.”

What year did you begin teaching?

“I started teaching in 2019 in Houston, TX. I grew up and went to college in Illinois, but was sent to teach in Houston with a program called Teach for America. It was a blast! But, I moved back to IL because I missed my friends and family.”

Douglas Schlachter (Rayhaan Irani)

Douglas Schlachter 

Graduated from/Alma matter: Waubonsee Community College

Classes taught: Autos 1, Advanced Autos, Special Interest Autos

What’s a fun fact about yourself?

“I’ve been playing volleyball for 25 years, indoor and outdoor leagues throughout the area. I’ve traveled around the world to fly fish—I’m an avid fly fisherman, and recently I’ve started attending music venues and concerts…kinda got more into that!”

If you were stuck on a remote island and could only bring one item, what would it be?

“Could that item be a person instead? I would bring the love of my life! But if it didn’t have to be a person, it would be a fishing pole.”

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you be?

“Anywhere in the world? Australia. [It’s] been on my bucket list since I was a kid. I just thought it was a cool place; they have cool things you don’t really see anywhere else. Either Australia or the Galápagos Islands, because those are very unique, and they don’t let a lot of people in.”

Christopher Shintaku (Rayhaan Irani)

Christopher Shintaku

Graduated from/Alma matter: Illinois State, Masters from Elmhurst University 

Classes taught: Geometry With Trigonometry, Algebra II, and Algebra I

What is the best thing about teaching?

“The best thing about teaching is knowing that I can make a difference for students and help them learn accountability, time management, problem-solving, and other important life skills to make them better people.”

“If I could have lunch with anyone, I would want to have lunch with Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters.”

Magdalena Tarchala  (Rayhaan Irani)

Magdalena Tarchala 

Graduated from/Alma matter: Elmhurst University

Classes taught: EL PreAlgebra, Algebra 1, and Geometry w/ Trig 

What is your favorite TV show/movie?

“Manifest (currently).”

What is the most interesting place you’ve visited?

“Iceland this past summer.”

If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

“Being invisible so I can travel the world for free.”

Kevin Tonn (Rayhaan Irani)

Kevin Tonn 

Graduated from/Alma matter: Lewis University 

Classes taught: Pre-Algebra, Algebra Part 1, Consumer Math 

What’s the craziest thing you have ever eaten?

“Good question…I try to not eat crazy things.”

Describe your dream vacation.

“Renting an RV and taking a road trip around the country to visit different baseball stadiums and national parks.  Or somewhere on a beach or out in nature with my wife and kids with no phones or technology.”